There is an abundance of practical advice you can find online. My approach is a bit different. I am looking at it from the mindset viewpoint. I would like to invite you to give me your feedback on my views. I love to learn from your perspective. Let’s get it started, shall we?
- First ask yourself, what do I want that I don’t have now? Understanding your clear whys for selling your home is the first step and a very important one for your success.
- Don’t worry about things you can’t control such as location or floor plan. Highlight the benefits of your home, and romanticize the experience. I will tell you a story. I had a seller who had failed to sell his home for 5 years with 4 different agents. His attention was so focused on the problems he thought he had such as a reverse floor plan, the driveway sloped downwards, an unusable backyard and an outdated kitchen. He wanted to upgrade his kitchen and spent much of his time interviewing contractors. In other words, he was looking for love in all the wrong places. While I was sitting in his kitchen table interviewing for the job, I noticed the kitchen and family room were facing the east. I screamed with joy. “that’s it” Let’s call the patio “sunrise patio”. We did the open houses between 6:30 a.m. to 8 a.m. We highlighted the sunrise view. Our target buyers would be people who were early risers and were inspired by an amazing sunrise every morning. This small change leads to his successful sale. We focused on the benefits & Romanticized the experience.
- Kyle Cease said “Nobody has ever broken your heart. They break your expectations. There are gaps between a seller’s perception of the market and a buyer’s reality. At the beginning of this year, homes were selling in 2 minutes with plenty of offers and in some cases $1 million over the asking price. Fast Facts: in some markets, the home sales are down, and Inventory is up. The price appreciation is slowing down. Instead of having the expectation of yesterday’s price, be open-minded and have the right perspective. The price appreciation in Santa Clara County is 47% increased compared to the last peak, and a jaw-dropping 250% from the last bottom of our market.
- Pricing is everything in this market. The price is nothing but a bundle of benefits. It is not about how much you can sell your house for, but it’s about what buyers can buy instead of yours. With increased inventories and more selections for the buyers to choose from, it is critical that the price is right from the beginning. Everybody wants what everybody wants. Therefore, it is important to bring as much attention to your house as possible.
- Hire the right agent.
- First, imagine what a successful sale feels like, what results you would like to see, and what process you would like to go through, in your mind. Be clear on what you want in an agent. When selecting an agent, make the decision on things the agent can control like the marketing and negotiation, not the things they can’t control like the price the market will bring you.
- An exceptional agent will dig deep and ask lots of questions based on what you want. They understand you are a team.
Let’s summarize the winning mindset for the sellers.
- Define your why
- Highlight the benefits of your home and bring romance to the process.
- Keep your prospective in check and have the right expectation.
- Pricing is everything, so get it right in the beginning.
- Hire the right agent to work with you as a partner.
I am going to leave you with this. In every occupation, the best people create the systems that make them successful. The right process will produce the best result. Good Luck!